Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
800 N.E. 9th Street Madison, SD 57042 | Email:Library Director | c2013 MHS
The Rise of Nazi Germany by
Publication Date: 1998-09-01
This anthology of writings examines the emergence of fascism & National Socialism in Germany, the personality of Hitler, his use of propaganda, & his political maneuvering to seize control in 1933.
The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler by
Publication Date: 2002-04-22
Many people believe Hitler was the personification of evil. In this Sibert Medal-winning biography, James Cross Giblin penetrates this façade and presents a picture of a complex person—at once a brilliant, influential politician and a deeply disturbed man.In a straightforward and nonsensational manner, the author explores the forces that shaped the man as well as the social conditions that furthered his rapid rise to power. Against a background of crucial historical events, Giblin traces the arc of Hitler’s life from 1889 to 1945: his childhood, his years as a frustrated artist in Vienna, his extraordinary rise as dictator of Germany, his final days in an embattled bunker under Berlin.
9th Grade English Nazi Germany Research
Use the Database page for much of your research. Use the card catalog link for books. When searching for books keep your search terms or key words general; don't be too specific. For example, search for "Nazi Germany NOT fiction" or World War II NOT fiction. Write down the call number and note if it is on the HS or MS location. Many of your books will be in the 940.54 section.
Use the following databases:
History in Context:
- do a basic search by topic or time period
- Use subject headings for further research. The chronology gives you an overview of what was happening during that time period and provides subject headings for further research.
- Citations are at the bottom but eliminate the URL (not needed in MLA 7.) Make sure you choose MLA citations!
Ebsco, Infotrac Gale, Proquest Databases
- Ebsco Host Web: select a couple of databases such as Masterfile Premier Megafile, limit to full text (very important!!!) on all databases but Sirs Researcher
- Results: use subject headings on left to help you narrow results to a specific topic. Also look at the description; if it is a book review, it may not help you
- Use toolbar to save, email, etc. Source citation: Click on Cite this article in the toolbar and use the MLA citation or scroll to the bottom of article to find citation
Ebsco Host Ebooks
Search your topic and look at the table of contents
Learning about the Holocaust
The Book Thief by
Publication Date: 2006-03-14
Markus Zusak's unforgettable story is about the ability of books to feed the soul. It is 1939. Nazi Germany.
Resistance and Conformity in the Third Reich by
Publication Date: 1997-01-06
Different chapters focus on social groups and activities, such as youth movements, religion, Jewish Germans, and the working classes.
Children of the Swastika by
Publication Date: 1993-03-01
Eileen Heyes looks at both sides of Nazism & its evolution. She became interested in Hitler Youth when she found out a family member had belonged to the organization. There are many interviews with former Hitler Youth members.